Yesterday marked a very exciting day in the world of German wine as almost 100 entries for the ‘Get it on…wine lists’ competition were whittled down to just 10!
‘Get it on’ is open to all German producers looking to get their wines into the UK market and is based on the German Wine Marketing initiative that Wines of Germany ran from 2000-2002, with the original initiative giving producers the chance to win listings for their wines in retailers such as Waitrose and Sainsbury’s.
This year, the competition has stepped up a gear and the Germany team have introduced a Dragon’s Den style pitching process, asking producers to present their wines to the judges outlining their suitability to be in the UK market.
Yesterday saw round one of the process when the judging panel were asked to consider packaging, price and taste when tasting the German wines. The panel was made up of buyers from Matthew Clark Wholesalers, ABS importers, The Winery independent wine merchant, ETM Group of London gastropubs and wine merchant The Sampler who were all in agreement that the quality of wines on show was extremely high across the board.
Without further ado Wines of Germany are very excited to announce the ten finalists…
- Weingut Bischel 2012 Riesling Trocken
- Barth Riesling Kabinett Trocken
- Deep Roots 2012 Riseling Trocken
- Kühling-Gillot 2012 Ölberg Riesling
- Weingut am Kaiserbaum 2012 Goldberg Riseling trocken
- Jülg Spätburgunder 2011 -R- Trocken
- Stefan Meyer 2012 Riesling Schlossberg Lagenwein
- Pflüger Michelsburg Riesling 2012
- Schneider Riesling Kirchenstück Ellerstadt Zweitausendzwölf 2012
- Weinreich 2012 Riesling Trocken
Watch this space for further details on the winners – the final round of judging takes place on September 30th
Posted by Dalany